Thursday, 28 March 2013

RIP Grandad

Well, where do I start?

Today marks the day that I said goodbye to my granddad for the last time. On Sunday night I received the news that my Grand father had passed away. He was alone in his room at the nursing home and passed in his sleep. He didn't suffer any pain and it happened very quickly.

It was only a few weeks ago that we got the news that he was suffering from heart failure. No one knew how much longer he had left but we didn't expect it to happen so quickly and it came as quite a shock. He deteriorated very quickly, he went blind in a matter of days, he could no longer do anything to help himself. He refused to eat and drink. I think he knew the end was near.

I've decided to dedicate this post to my memory of him, a great strong man.

My earliest memory of my Granddad was back when I was a little girl, maybe about 3 or 4 years old. He was living with us at the time. I remember sneaking into his bedroom to play with his ornaments. I thought they were the most beautiful things ever. He had these little figurine's of a boy and girl. Of coarse being young, i made them boyfriend and girlfriend. They would get married, have babies (which were little dogs) and live happily ever after. My granddad busted me playing with them one day and i was petrified he was going to yell at me for touching them, instead he gave them to me and I couldn't have been happier or prouder. I love those little figurines with all my heart and still have them to this day.

My next fondest memory is after granddad moved out to a retirement village. We would go visit him every Saturday. He lived here from the time I was about 7 up until I was in grade 11 at high school. He always kept me 2 cans of sars in the fridge because he knew it was my all time favourite soft drink. So every time I would go see him I got to have those two cans of soft drink and fruit cake. Sounds silly that something so simple would make me so happy but it did. His back door was one of those old fashioned type doors where it splits in half, you could open the top half, bottom half or both. It reminded me of a horse stable and I use to pretend that my (imaginary) horse was on the other side sticking its head through. Once I started high school I would go visit him at least twice a week before school as it was only across the road and once again, every time I went I would get my soft drink and fruit cake and if I was really lucky (which i normally was) he would give me a couple of dollars so I could get something from the tuck shop at lunch.

Granddad moved to some units in Tannum Sands when I was at the end of grade 11. The first house Neil and I bought was almost directly across the road so once again I would go visit as often as i could, normally taking Neil along with me. By this stage I was 19-20 years old. I would still get my sars and fruit cake while Neil got beer. I started feeling a bit ripped off but at the same time i enjoyed it because that's just what we do.

My absolute happiest and most fondest memory was on my wedding day. The look in my granddads eyes was nothing but pure happiness and I knew just how proud he was of me. I watched as he wiped a tear of happiness away from his cheek and I cried when he danced with me at the reception. No words were spoken but I could feel the love he had for me and I knew the love I had for him.

My granddad was my rock for so many years. he was always there for me when ever I needed him, no matter what it was for. He dotted over me and my family. I'm going to miss him so much but I take peace in knowing that even though he isn't with me any more he is still watching over me. I hope he finds peace in his after life and I hope he is with Grandma Lucas once again.

Its never going to be the same without you granddad. I will love you forever and always. You will always be in my heart.

Rest In Peace Herbert Lucas. Born 11/04/1920 Born into Eternal Life 24/03/2013

1 comment: